The Stages Theatre Festival
May 14th - 27th, 2018.
The STAGES Theatre Festival (and its sibling NextSTAGES) is a two-week festival of theatre, presenting shows at different stages of development, on different stages in Halifax, by artists at different stages of their careers, through a variety of productions, workshops, and play-readings.
The Stages Festival has involved many Atlantic Canadian theatre companies and artists. We also invite shows from out of province.
The Festival nurtures new work through a series of workshops and events designed to inspire, guide and support the writer.
Please note: the deadline for submissions for 2018 has now been set. Applicants are invitde to submit the following:
- Cover letter, briefly detailing your company history and the show's creation and status (number of performances & history to date) and how many people are involved
- A copy of the complete script (if your application is for a performance slot.)
- A cast & production crew list, bios and headshots
- A synopsis - no longer than 300 words
- A one line descriptive 'log-line.'
- A video of the show (if possible, an archival of the entire performance.)
- Any poster or graphic that you have already (not necessary, but we are curious.)
- Describe your ideal venue, that your show is best suited for
- If your application is for a READING or WORKSHOP slot, please detail where the show is in it's creation process.
If your play is selected for presentation in the STAGES Theatre Festival, the application should come from a company.
The modest fee that EFT pays has to go to a producing company and not to an individual. This is because EFT 'presents' these plays and does not produce them. Our funding only allows us to present.
The producing company will sign an agreement with EFT to bring their play to the Festival. The producing company will secure all performing rights, pay all royalties and get ALL clearances. This wil be reflected in the contract.
The producing company will also be the signatory with the Canadian Actors' Equity Association, if applicable.
The STAGES Theatre Festival pays a modest fee for a 4-6 show run at the Festival. Visiting companies should seek additional funding. EFT will apply for Canada Council funding to assist with travel, per diem and accommodation. These funds are not guaranteed.
If you are submitting a play for a staged reading, or another form of project/workshop, please also follow the above guidelines as far as possible.
DEADLINE: October 1st, 2017 by email OR hard copy (postmarked Oct 1st, 2017)
Mail to: Jeremy Webb, Artistic Producer, Eastern Front Theatre, 1580 Barrington St, Halifax, NS, B3J 1Z6
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Submissions will be studied in November, 2017.